Magic Bubble's title screen.
|Publisher||Computer & Entertainment|
|Developer||Computer & Entertainment|
|Retail price||1250 [TWD]|
|Alternate names/hacks|| Bubble Bath Babes|
Mermaids of Atlantis
In this game, you must manage the bubbles in a way to connect 4 (or more) of them with the same color. The pieces which are composed of 4 connected bubbles of various colors, go up to the top of the screen (which is the reverse of Tetris). Some bubbles have a letter in them. Once you got all the letter which compose the word "Magic", you get the Magic Bubble.
When you beat a stage, you are awarded with some Japanese text and a picture of a woman, each stage losing more clothes (Fully dressed -> underwear -> nude). Once you've went through the 3 states for a girl, the game will reward you with a new one, which will go under the same process. There are 12 stages, which means that you'll see 4 different girls.
This game has a simultaneous 2-players mode. The option menu (which appears automatically after the title screen) let you choose the stage you want to start in, the type of game (Type A starts you off with an empty stage, while Type B starts you with two rows of bubbles already on the screen), between 5 levels of speed (in level 5, the pieces fall as fast as when you press up) and 3 different background musics (only 2 in Soap Panic and Bubble Bath Babes).
- Silvers Lin and Kathy Chen are credited for programming and graphics respectively, they both later worked in Hummer Team.
- The original version of the game is Soap Panic, published by Hacker International.
Soap Panic was then released in english by Panesian as Bubble Bath Babes, replacing the first 6 pictures with new ones, but leaving the last 6 images and gameplay the same. The text on the images is not a translation from the original, but rather a completely new script.
Soap Panic was then modified by C&E into Magic Bubble, adding game speed, type and stage selection options and an additional music track. All the images are the same as in Soap Panic, but the nude lady at the bottom of the screen now has foam partially covering her chest, making this version slightly censored.
Finally, American Video Entertainment modified Magic Bubble into a family-friendly version Mermaids of Atlantis, with a storyline about non-nude mermaids.
- The game was released again in 1995 in east Europe.
- The correct ROM size of Soap Panic is 96 kilobytes, but a bad dump of 64 kilobytes and partially missing cutscenes was widely circulated on the internet.
- In Magic Bubble and Mermaids of Atlantis, you can watch the ending sequence with the following code on the title screen (after the C&E logo appeared): Select, Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Right, A, A, B, B. In Soap Panic and Bubble Bath Babes, you can go through the stages using this code: Pause the game then press Up, Right, Down, Left. You can now choose the level using A and B. Once you chose the level, press Start twice.
- There are no unedited images of gameplay due to the fact that a nude woman is constantly at the bottom of the screen.