|Ture MK3 3|
Title screen of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 4, one of the versions of this game.
|Publisher||NT and ABAB Soft Inc.|
|Date||Unknown, possibly 1997-1998|
|Sound engine||Hummer V2|
|Alternate names/hacks||Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 4, Mortal Kombat 4|
Ture MK3, more known after its' mapper hack, Mortal Kombat 4, is a pirated fighting game that was probably developed by Hummer Team and published by NT with MK4 re-released by ABAB Soft Inc. on a multicart. The game is based off Mortal Kombat 3.
Out of the 18 characters, only 7 of them return. They are Liu Kang, Sub Zero, Kano, Sonya, Nightwolf, Stryker and Shao Kahn (who is called Shang Tsung in this game). Like many of Hummer's games, its' hacks have got a large amount of repeats, all of which are fought in the single player mode. All of the characters can pull off their special moves with these commands:
- D, DF, F, a
- D, DF, F, b
- D, D, a
- a+b (Shao Kahn and Nightwolf only)
Unlike MKII Special, nothing was reused from the Mortal Kombat games. (except maybe the blood) Only two tracks from the original MK3 are in this port. (Player Select and The Bank) One of the tracks is the select music from Garou Densetsu Special. The title screen music is the Superman theme and one of the tracks in the game is Rose's theme from Titanic. (Coincidentally, EX-Hummer members later made a beat-em-up based off of Titanic known as Titenic) Another track uses the triangle channel from one of Jing Ke Xin Zhaun's tracks and edits it. All the other music in the game seems original but the NSF has the Kart Fighter ending music in it which the game doesn't use at all.
- True MK3/Ture MK3 - (NT-846) Most likely the original. Undumped, was discovered in one of the issues of the Great Dragon magazine. According to the screenshots found here, this version repeats the roster only once. May possibly have UMK3's title screen. Cartridge art for this version is available at CaH4e3's site.
- Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (NT-6096) - (NT-846) Title screen changed to match MK3's and there are more repeats in this version (now it includes 48 selectable slots). Removes the options screen.
- Mortal Kombat 4 - (NT-326) Since this is smaller then the other hacks (384 KB for the others, 256 KB for this), Sub-Zero's and Nightwolf's sprites are removed. Sub-Zero is gone in the game (can be accessed by the hex-editor although it's just Liu Kang with Sub-Zero's name and palette) while Nightwolf is just a recolored Shao Kahn. Only 3 out of the 7 stages remain in the game (but the music is still in the NSF). Also Shao Kahn's moves are glitched. Was seen on one of ABAB Soft's mutlicarts as well. Also doesn't have the options screen.
Ture MK3 has been reviewed by one of the Great Dragon's authors. One of the forementioned "lamentations" about this game mentioned in the article is that the SFII Engine is getting ridiculously old. The bottom line says that "even Samurai Shodown is better than the game currently reviewed".
- In the ROM mentions Cham Cham and Mizuki after all the MK character names, suggesting this was built off Samurai Spirits 2. The font used for the character names is also taken from that game (which, in turn, was reused from Garou Densetsu Special).
- In MK4's ROM, there's references to Titenic and possibly an RPG. The cartridge was most likely used to test all the code.